Asking yourself soul searching questions is a powerful way to gain self-awareness at any time of life, but especially when you’re in the midst of a change or transition.
With this comprehensive list you can answer a bunch of questions in one sitting, or you can answer just one question at a time when the inspiration strikes you.
Now, if you don’t already own a journal – I enthusiastically suggest you get one (or many!) to write down your thoughts on these questions. I love buying beautiful journals and often buy them when I want to treat myself.
To inspire your soul searching musings, I’ve included a few links* to some gorgeous journals that you can order online and have them delivered right to your door!
Now, some of you may be thinking about using a journalling app on your phone because it’s convenient. I get it. But, if I’m honest, I’d say that using an app just isn’t the same as putting pen to paper. There’s an energy – an aliveness – that comes from hand writing in a journal. There’s just something special about the flow of pen on paper. It sets your creative spirit free. So, use an app if you must, but hand writing in a journal would always be my recommendation.
And to amp up your creativity even more, why not go wild with coloured markers and pens too.
Once you’ve got a journal, carry it with you everywhere. That way, you can answer a question while waiting in line, waiting at a restaurant, on your lunch break. Just about anywhere, anytime!
Enjoy the inward journey!
1. Where is my heart guiding me?
2. What do I need to say that I have left unspoken?
3. Are there any of my skills or talents that I’m not using?
4. What is my personal blind spot; what have I been unwilling to look at?
5. Where have I been worrying too much about what others think?
6. What new patterns and habits can I invite into my life?
7. Where have I been more focused on how I look, rather than how I feel?
8. What fears am I willing to release?
9. What am I committed to changing?
10. What is my body craving?
11. What commitments to myself can I honour?
12. What new habit can I start?
13. How do I want to feel?
14. What signs have I been misinterpreting or ignoring?
15. What lessons am I learning right now?
16. Where can I surrender?
17. Where can I take responsibility for the outcome?
18. What’s a challenge I have overcome that I can celebrate?
19. Where can I ask for help and from who?
20. What expectations am I ready to release?
21. How is life asking me to grow right now?
22. How have I let fear dictate my actions?
23. What can I remove from my life?
24. What have I been avoiding out of fear?
25. Where can I show more of my true self?
26. What area of my life have I become disenchanted with and what is that trying to tell me?
27. What has my intuition been trying to tell me?
28. Where do I feel broken? What steps will I take to release this internal pain?
29. What am I learning on the way to reaching my goal?
30. What did I love to do as a child that I can do today?
31. Where have I blocked myself from feeling?
32. Where have I been focusing too much on the outcome?
33. Where in my life do I feel I need to take action?
34. What current situation in my life have I been resisting?
35. In what ways can I appreciate myself more?
36. What flaw that I hide from others can I reveal?
37. What long-term success am I working to create?
38. What healthier habits can I start?
39. Am I living my values every day?
40. What dream have I ignored that keeps coming back?
41. What situation in my life turned out to be a giant blessing in disguise?
42. Where have I been settling?
43. What action steps can I take to raise my standards?
44. What is my fear trying to tell me?
45. In what ways can I be kinder to myself?
46. What have I given up on that still wants to be pursued?
47. Where have I been forcing myself to heal faster than what feels right?
48. How have I been cheating on my future by thinking thoughts of my past?
49. What “flaw” can I accept today?
50. Where have I been hesitating to take action?
51. What has the universe been asking me to release?
52. What past situation have I been romanticizing?
53. How has my past hurt my ability to move forward?
54. What plan feels forced or like it no longer fits in my life? Can I let it go?
55. What emotion have I been hiding?
56. What are my instincts trying to tell me?
57. What does my ideal life look and feel like?
58. In what area of my life can I take more of a leadership role?
59. Where can I be more unapologetic about what brings me joy?
60. Where have I been playing it safe?
61. What action step can I take despite my insecurity or lack of confidence?
62. How am I standing in my own way?
63. What stories am I telling myself that are holding me back?
64. What do I feel guilty about?
65. When do I feel most alive?
66. What have I denied myself that I really want?
67. Who can I forgive?
68. In what relationship am I not feeling the way I want to feel?
69. What am I avoiding right now in my life?
70. What have I stopped doing that I want to start again?
71. What do I need to say but have not voiced?
72. How do I measure my success?
73. What barriers do I create that keep me from getting what I want?
74. In my life what am I forcing?
75. What have I denied myself that I really want?
76. What insecurity can I love today?
77. Can I consider a more fun-loving approach?
78. What project can I give new life to?
79. What is the silver lining of my current situation?
80. What relationship can I remove myself from?
81. What patterns keep repeating in my life, and what can I learn from them?
82. What drama can I disengage with?
83. What miracle have I recently witnessed?
84. How can I be more honest with those who are close to me?
85. What dream have I been ignoring?
86. What recent situation do I need to take responsibility for?
87. Where can I stop second-guessing my own judgment?
88. What desire do I need to revisit?
89. Where have I allowed “no” to stop me?
90. What act of kindness can I do right now?
91. What promise can I keep to myself?
92. Where can I be more courageous with my heart?
93. Where can I be more understanding?
94. Where has scarcity or lack-based thought prevented me from doing what I love?
95. When I listen to my heart, what does it say?
96. What payoff is no longer pleasing me?
97. What action step can I take today that my future self will hug me for?
98. What change can I make today?
99. What little act of kindness can I do today?
- What new beginning am I being guided to?
* I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services mentioned here. Your purchase helps support my work in bringing you information about mid-life career change for women.